SEIU (Service Employees International Union)
Job Title: Special Assistant, Executive Office Grade: E
Location: Washington, D.C.
To provide support to the Chief of Staff and Executive Office in the coordination and implementation of union-wide and priority programs and projects and to serve as a liaison with staff, officers and external contacts.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
• Works with the Chief of Staff, Officers, Staff Leadership Team, Staff Operations Team, and Campaign Directors to execute and integrate union priorities, projects and directives.
• Produces accurate, well-written, and analytical memos, letters and other documents that help inform leadership and senior staff decision-making, while meeting strict deadlines for completion.
• Handles sensitive issues that require confidentiality.
• Researches and synthesizes information from meetings and other conversations, with recommendations on next steps.
• Helps to drive internal communications throughout the union, including preparing documents for the International Executive Board, Executive Committee, Executive Office, Divisions, Departments and all staff.
• Plans and assists in the preparation of agendas and materials for meetings and presentations for/with International Executive Board, Executive Committee, Officers and senior staff.
• Serves as part of a team working on prep documents for the President and officers of the union, as needed.
• Serves as a center, when needed, for coordination of union-wide priorities, including actions, and other events.
• Assists in responsible budget management of various projects and programs.
• Represents SEIU in public forums internally and externally as an advocate, consistent with the values and vision of the union.
• Supports the Chief of Staff in some scheduling and project management to increase efficiency.
• Performs other duties as required to assist the International Union and Local Unions.
SEIU Executive Officers and Chief of Staff, Officer Assistants, Staff Leadership Team, Staff Operations Team, Local Leaders and staff, SEIU International staff, Employers, Political, Community and Union Leaders and staff.
Direction and Decision Making:
This position reports to Chief of Staff.
Education and Experience:
Undergraduate degree in Communications or related field, a minimum of seven (7) years of related work experience, or a combination of education and experience in labor union or non-profit organization.
• Outstanding writing, verbal, and analytical communication skills.
• Knowledge of labor unions.
• Skill in the use of Microsoft Office programs.
• A high level of judgment, ability to take initiative and work independently; must be able to work with elected SEIU leaders, SEIU members, and staff in complex and sometimes political situations.
• Ability to make judgments “on the fly” that are reflective of union’s values and vision and help reach program goals.
• A high level of curiosity about SEIU and social/economic justice movements and passion for improving the lives of SEIU members and working people everywhere.
• Ability to model consistently the vision and values of the union, as well as our leadership standards: shared unity of purpose, openness to questions and willingness to learn; acting with the courage of our convictions; working together with accountability; and commitment to inclusion.
• Strong interest in the parts that make up the whole of the union.
• Must be able to handle multiple, complex, “priority” projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines.
• Ability to work extended and irregular hours on a regular basis and willingness to travel occasionally with overnight stays required.
Physical Requirements (as required by ADA):
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Long and extended hours and travel required
A cover letter is required for all applications. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holiday and vacation policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/hsnpqsk226