THE AMERICAN SOCIETY FOR CELL BIOLOGY
The American Society for Cell Biology (ASCB) is a nonprofit membership organization of 9,000 biologists who study the cell, the fundamental unit of life. Our mission is to advance scientific discovery, advocate sound research policies, improve education, promote professional development, and increase diversity in the scientific workforce. Through its scientific leadership ASCB influences and defines the field of cell biology worldwide, and is an active force in science education. We are a highly innovative organization strongly committed to a diverse and international workforce, and play a major role in advocacy for science. For more information about ASCB, visit www.ascb.org.
This position is a unique opportunity for a seasoned policy and media relations expert to make a difference for science, globally influencing the field of cell biology by advocating for scientific funding and educating on issues that impact the scientific community.
The position will be responsible for leading development and implementation of strategies for educating regulators and policymakers and management of media coverage for the Society. Specifically, this person will develop policy recommendations and best practices, represent ASCB in public testimony, mobilize our advocates, and manage media and public inquiries. This position reports directly to the Executive Director and is located in Bethesda, MD.
- Directs ASCB’s public policy efforts, including monitoring relevant issues, research and writing official documents and other communication, presenting on science, managing members’ interaction with policymakers, and running taskforces to produce white papers on important issues.
- Manages the organization’s reputation and image, generates positive media coverage, and responds to media inquiries.
- Serves as the staff representative to the Public Policy Committee (PPC).
- Actively participates in life science community policy circles, often taking on leadership roles in each of these organizations.
The ideal candidate will have
- Master’s degree or higher in law, public policy, biological sciences or related field or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience working with both federal and state/local science policy and media relations.
- Well versed with policy issues related to life science and science funding.
- Understanding of cell biology and related fields.
- Strong operational background, as well as the political savvy to quickly react to critical issues.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, with a high degree of patience and tact. Must be able to cultivate respectful, strategic, and collaborative relationships with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- A “doer” with a keen sense of urgency, excellent follow-up, and extreme attention to detail.
- Works well under pressure and on tight deadlines while maintaining professional relationships with colleagues at all times.
- Demonstrates an interest in our mission and the ability to communicate the value proposition of ASCB to our partners and collaborators.
BENEFITS AND SALARY
We offer a competitive salary and an excellent benefit package including health and dental insurance, a generous holiday schedule, and parking. ASCB is an Equal Opportunity employer.
To apply for this position, please email to email@example.com the following:
- A cover letter clearly stating qualifications and reasons for interest in the position
- A curriculum vitae and/or resume
- Two writing samples that show ability to write succinctly and intelligently for a non-scientific audience