Political Capacity Specialist Grade: PS3
Purpose To represent and assist the International Union in building a powerful member led political capacity and fundraising program; to lead locals in creating strategic plans to meet member political organizing, member leadership, and hard dollar fundraising goals; to take responsibility for building local union staff and leadership support for political capacity campaigns; to act in a leadership role with respect to other International and local union staff; to design, implement, and support strategic plans to train and mobilize staff, members, activists, leaders and others to participate in the political engagement, member leadership development, member political organizer and hard dollar fundraising program.
The role of the Political Capacity Specialist will include but not be limited to the following primary responsibilities:
• Plan and Implement Field Program: work in close collaboration with local leaders in several states to develop and support political capacity plans including but not limited to: member leadership development, member political organizer development, member fundraising and member participation in local issue and election campaigns.
• Work in close collaboration with local leaders to integrate the political capacity program with the day to day organizing activities of the local.
• Develop progress reports & analysis on local progress to fundraising and political capacity building goals.
• Work with other Political Capacity Specialist leads to support organizers’ work in the field through training, site visits, connecting local staff to resources from the International Union, implementation of best practices, and other forms of support.
• Performs other duties and special projects as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor of Arts degree in Politics or another related field and four (4) years of work experience in labor, political, fundraising, or community organizing experience; ability to direct campaigns and sensitive political situations; or at least three years of supervisory experience that would provide the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
Equivalency: A graduate degree with course work in politics or related field and two (2) years’ experience in labor, political, fundraising, or community organizing experience; ability to direct campaigns and sensitive political situations.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; proven presentation and training skills.
• Ability to handle a multifaceted and detailed workload.
• Ability to develop and implement a field plan measuring fundraising and political engagement.
• Ability to analyze complex numerical data sets.
• Ability to work in politically charged environments and manage relationships with Local and International Officers, staff and members.
• Basic knowledge of databases and targeting helpful but not required.
• Skill in Spanish, Mandarin, or Russian helpful but not required.
• Demonstrated high level of proven leadership and judgment.
• Successful experience in planning and implementing strategic, legislative, electoral, or community support campaigns.
Include SEIU staff and other experts on political, fundraising, and community organizing issues.
Direction and Decision Making:
This position reports to an Assistant Director of Politics and the incumbent works independently.
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Long and extended hours and travel may be required.
Probationary Period: Nine (9) Months
A cover letter is required for all applications. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holiday and vacation policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/232n4k2xw6