Job Location: US-DC-Washington
Posted Date: 5/2/2013
This position is the lead responsible for providing sophisticated, highly skilled analysis of social, economic and public policy trends in support of SEIU’s goals.
- Initiates and conducts analysis of topics of concern to SEIU to support legislative initiatives, industry organizing opportunities, grassroots campaigns or other political mobilization work.
- Analyzes policy options, proposed regulations and legislative proposals for their impact on members and locals, and to further the union’s goals around growth and organizing.
- Represents SEIU in public forums internally and externally as an advocate.
- Meets with representatives of agencies, elected officials, management and other unions to promote SEIU members’ interests.
- Develops written material, including correspondence, legislative testimony, research reports and policy memoranda for use internally and externally.
- Makes significant contributions to the strategic plans for SEIU’s campaigns, and to further the union’s policy and growth objectives.
- Assists the division policy director in the development of work plans and strategy for achieving the union’s growth and issue campaign goals.
- Testifies on behalf of SEIU as needed.
- Coordinates department work with other departments/Division as needed; advocates for department priorities in cross-departmental efforts
- Serves as a primary coordinator with advocates with outside organizations and other unions as assigned.
- Prepares strategic recommendations for issue development.
- Monitors federal, state and local legislative and regulatory activity on key matters; keeps Government Relations staff, divisions, locals and leaders apprised on key policy developments and recommends union positions.
- Maintains files and performs personal clerical duties as necessary.
- Performs other duties as required to support the department and its mission.
Include SEIU and affiliate staff and other experts on policy issues.
Direction and Decision Making:
This position reports to the appropriate divisional Policy Director, and the incumbent works independently.
- Bachelor of Arts or Science degree in Public Policy, Economics or related field; seven (7) years of experience in policy analysis; and experience with issue development in a political context are required. Masters degree preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of areas of interest to the relevant SEIU division. This includes knowledge of the specific industries, sectors, occupations and other issues of concern to the respective division.
- Thorough knowledge of policy analysis, including appropriate federal and state statutory, regulatory, budgetary and administrative processes.
- Thorough knowledge of issue development in a political context.
- Knowledge of unions and their issues.
- Ability to conduct high level policy analysis.
- Ability to use personal computer, including spreadsheets, databases and on-line research services.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to conduct formal research, analyze data and make sound, logical conclusions.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Detail orientation with strong organizational skills
- Ability to make formal presentations and write advocacy papers.
- Ability to handle multiple priority projects simultaneously and meet established timelines.
- Ability to manage time effectively while maintaining a high level of productivity
- Advanced skills in the use of personal computers for purposes of financial and data analysis.
- Advanced skills in the use of spreadsheets, database management systems, presentation software and on-line information sources.
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Long and extended hours and travel may be required.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/hq49zv4