Posted Date: 4/1/2013
Washington D.C. (Flexible Locations)
Organizing Coordinator II (Elections)
To represent and assist the International Union in achieving the National Organizing Program goals in the field; to supervise, train and direct teams of International Union staff, local union staff, or special project staff; to design and implement organizing and affiliation plans in collaboration with Local Union Organizing Directors; to plan large scale campaigns covering large geographic areas with Regional Organizing Directors.
The Organizing Coordinator II has major responsibility for the field administration of the overall national organizing program and performs a wide range of duties and responsibilities which may encompass many of those included in the Organizing Coordinator I job description. In addition, the Organizing Coordinator II will routinely:*
- Provide organizing leadership on major campaigns involving large scale and large geographic areas, innovative strategies, coordination of local union and international resources, inter-union and multi-union political complexities, and complex staffing arrangements.
- Oversee requests for organizing assistance from locals and deals directly with such requests.
- Build effective organizing teams through development of comprehensive staff development plans.
- Supervises, leads, assigns, and evaluates staff including developing individual work plans and overseeing their implementation and evaluation. Administers corrective discipline including termination if necessary.
- Recruits, interviews, and recommends hiring of staff
- Creates and administers organizing plans and campaign budgets including strategic planning, budget development, and office administration. Authorizes expenditures within the campaign budget.
- Creates mutual assistance plans among SEIU locals unions and other organizations for member organizing, loaning organizer exchanges, organizer training, multi-local campaigns, and development of local union’s organizing capacity.
- Propose and carry out innovative ideas and large scale plans to achieve SEIU’s organizing goals
Include SEIU staff, elected leadership; local union leaders; and staff and members; International Union staff and officers. CTW staff; state federation and central labor council leaders and staff; staff of other unions; public officials; and key staff; and leaders.
Direction and Decision Making:
This position reports to the Regional Organizing Director.
- B.A. degree or at least three (5) years of supervisory experience and seven (7) years of related work experience or combination of education and experience.
- Ability to execute campaign goals and objectives, to work effectively with local leaders, and carry out required objectives.
- Extensive experience directing large, complex campaigns.
- Thorough knowledge of labor program planning and development.
- Knowledge of strategies and techniques used by SEIU to organize and lead division workers.
- Knowledge of unions and their issues.
- Knowledge of bargaining, organizing and organizational management.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; ability to make formal presentations and write advocacy papers.
- Ability to use personal computer.
- Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Ability to handle multiple “priority” projects and meet established timelines.
- Ability to work independently and effectively with elected leaders and staff in complex political and local union situations.
- Ability to conduct training sessions.
- Ability to communicate political and policy priorities to SEIU members.
The Organizing Coordinator II must be available for regular and/or long-term travel over large geographic areas. The position often requires temporary assignments away from home as well as long and irregular hours.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/4ymg4fc