Job Location: US-DC-Washington
Posted Date: 2/12/2013
National Field Director
Directly manage regional political and field team to assist the International Union in strengthening its electoral, legislative, worksite, and political infrastructure at the state and local. The National Field Director will work in conjunction with SEIU national, area, state and local leadership and staff to contribute to the development of the overall SEIU political, legislative and grassroots program and to help design, implement, and/or advise:
* Targeted electoral plans for assigned states and local unions
* Electoral campaigns in key targeted federal, state and local races
* Strategic involvement in ballot initiative campaigns at state and local level
* Legislative campaigns and state battles
* Ongoing political education and training programs for staff and members
* COPE fund-raising programs
* Driving national political program through the regional political and field team.
* Directly supervise, support, and hold accountable field team for all aspects of above described work.
* Support Regional Field Team in electoral planning process
* Develop the skills and knowledge of Field Staff to more effectively drive the work described above.
* Work with Deputy Political Director for Finance to manage field campaign budgets
* Coordinate field expenditures with regional political and field staff
* Hold relationships with key SEIU division and local leaders, and organize support for national political department initiatives.
* Review and refine all state and local political plans submitted by Regional Field Staff.
* Serve on national political leadership team defining and refining priorities and strategy for national political program and systems for implementation.
* With Deputy National Political Director, hold relationships with party, coordinated campaign, candidates’ campaigns.
* Serve as liaison with SEIU departments and divisions on electoral campaign, state battle and field program planning and execution
* Other duties as assigned by deputies or Deputy National Political Director for Campaigns
Local Union Presidents, staff and leadership, State councils, division staff, FFE national leads, Local Union Political Directors, LAJ/MLDP division staff.
Direction and Decision Making:
This position reports to the Deputy National Political Director for Campaigns and the incumbent works independently.
Education and Experience
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelors degree in labor relations, communications, political science or liberal arts and at least five to seven years of specific work experience and/or a combination of education and experience managing national field campaigns, electoral campaigns, legislative battles or union organizing, that would provide for the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
* Thorough knowledge of strategies used in political campaigns
* Knowledge and experience in use of polling, research, targeting, direct mail, opposition research.
* Ability to manage and develop field based staff
* Knowledge and experience with managing voter contact and field campaigns
* Knowledge and experience working with voter files, VAN and voter targeting
* Ability to communicate effectively
* Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships and to work in a team
* Ability to operate in the field with state councils and local union leadership and staff
* Ability to manage and assess multiple programs and priorities
* Ability to manage program budget and implement plans
* Ability to manage and help develop electoral and grassroots campaign plans, logistics and timeline
* Ability to handle multiple priorities in different states and meet deadlines
Specialized Knowledge and Training:
The National Field Director position requires a high level of proven leadership and judgment and must demonstrate knowledge of grassroots political organizing and staff management. S/he must have experience in developing and implementing comprehensive political plans. Additionally, S/he must have the capacity to work independently with elected SEIU leaders and staff in complex political situations.
Experience working in diverse work environments a plus. Women and people of color urged to apply. Bilingual skills a plus.
Works is generally performed in the field and long and extended hours and travel are required.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/h985tk3