Job Location: US-DC-Washington
Posted Date: 8/2/2013
National Communications Director
Washington , D.C.
Oversees and directs all aspects of SEIU’s integrated communications and new media operation to support the union’s priorities, to involve members and the public in achieving those goals, and to lift up the voices of SEIU members and leaders on the front lines of ending the crisis for all working people and fighting for a fair and just society.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
Program Development and Management
· Oversees and directs work to develop SEIU’s brand, public messaging, and implementation of public messages through earned and paid media, social media, allies, and public forums.
· Oversees and directs all work to develop SEIU’s internal messaging and implementation of those messages throughout the organization.
· Oversees work of the department’s senior management team to lead all communications work for divisions, national media, politics, government affairs, member engagement, creative services, and other campaigns.
· Advises SEIU President and officers on the development and implementation of internal and external messages. Works with the International Executive Board and other elected leaders to implement internal and external messages.
· Oversees the work of all staff to ensure high quality standards, best practices, and consistency of message throughout the International Union and affiliates.
· Oversees the work of the Managing Director and the senior management team, and directs all administrative management functions of the department, including budget management.
· Working with senior management team, oversees all personnel actions and the work of hiring managers, related to recruitment, hiring, retention and staff development and firing.
· Works with other senior SEIU staff to manage the union’s internal and external programs and administration.
· Performs other duties as needed in support of SEIU’s goals and mission.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree preferred. Ten or more years of experience in communications or related work, including at least seven years managing strategy, planning, and program development, or a combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
· Experience developing and implementing strategy on a wide range of campaigns, including organizing, contract, political, and legislative, as well as experience working with community allies.
· Thorough and extensive knowledge of media relations and digital campaign strategies.
· Thorough knowledge of electronic and print media systems. Knowledge of advertising techniques and familiarity with all aspects of literature, audiovisual, and digital production process required. .
· Excellent writing, verbal, and analytical skills.
· Demonstrated capacity to continuously develop knowledge and skills related to use of rapidly changing technology.
· Deep understanding of unions and other social justice organizations.
Qualities and Attributes:
· A high level of judgment, ability to take initiative and work independently; ability to collaboratively work with elected SEIU leaders, SEIU members, and staff in complex and sometimes political situations.
· A high level of curiosity about SEIU and social justice movements and passion for improving the lives of working people everywhere.
· Commitment to promoting an ethical culture and leading by example — consistently modeling the vision and values of the union, including our leadership standards: shared unity of purpose, openness to questions and willingness to learn; acting with the courage of our convictions; working together with accountability; and commitment to inclusion.
· Must be able to handle multiple, complex, “priority” projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines.
· Ability to weigh a spectrum of viewpoints and interests, and synthesize into a sound, strategic plan of action.
Must be able to represent the International Union with local leaders, members, staff, and outside organizations utilizing independent judgment and the highest level of professionalism.
Interfaces with the highest level organizational and external contacts, including:
· SEIU officers, division leadership, International senior staff, project and program managers, local union officers and local senior staff.
· External: news media, politicians, government officials, officers and staff of partners and allied organizations.
· Vendors: consultants, pollsters, freelancers, video and multi-media producers, design and production companies and advertising agencies. Ensures that sophisticated, ethical and financially sound choices are made about appropriate vendors and support services.
Direction and Decision Making
The National Communications Director reports to the Deputy to Executive Vice President and works with extreme independence.
Work is generally performed in an office setting, but job may require work in the field or in other settings to perform the tasks required to complete assignments. Must be available for frequent travel with overnight stays. Long and irregular hours will be required.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/2bhxwrx