Job Location: US-DC-Washington
Posted Date: 4/5/2013
SEIU is a national leader in organizing in the Human Services sector and has built an exciting and innovative campaign to fight for improving the lives of Human Services workers and the individuals for whom they provide services and supports. The Human Services Campaign Director guides this campaign nationally through developing strategies, running successful organizing campaigns, building community relationships, and leading the national campaign team.
Primary Responsibilities: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
- Directs, plans, develops and implements all aspects of strategies for the Human Services organizing campaign at the state, local and national levels. Directs campaigns involving individual providers, corporate social responsibility, and private sector NLRB elections.
- Develops annual campaign work plan that lays out goals, strategies, and a workplan for a successful national campaign. Coordinates the national workgroup including local and International union leaders and practitioners.
- Manages a large national campaign staff and supervises organizing coordinators to assure accountability from field staff.
- Develops, manages, and is accountable for the campaign budget and expenditures.
- Coordinates with SEIU departments, divisions, Area offices, state councils, local unions and other SEIU bodies on strategy, resource allocation, staffing and other issues related to the campaign.
- Develops relationships with and coordinates work with national and local allies advancing the civil rights of the developmental disabilities community.
- Advises SEIU Public Services Organizing Director on political opportunities and strategies relating to the interaction with other campaigns.
- Directs and advises the field, communications, policy and operations teams to assure integration of all work in conjunction with the campaign.
- Advises and recommends to the Public Services Organizing Director on resource allocation and state campaign budgets based on an analysis of opportunity and campaign capacity.
- Performs other duties as required to support the department and its mission.
- Participates as a member of the Public Services Division Senior Staff Team to develop and implement the overall plan for the Division.
Include all SEIU and affiliate staff, state and local council directors, federal and state political leaders, policy analysts and others who work in coalition with developmental disability issues.
Direction and Decision Making:
This position reports the Public Services Division Organizing Director and works independently.
- Bachelor of Arts or Science degree in Political Science, Labor Relations, Communication, or another related field. An advanced degree preferred with at least ten (10) years of grassroots union, political or issue campaign work; five (5) of which was in a campaign leadership position with staff supervisory responsibility or a combination of education and experience.
- Thorough knowledge of strategic tactics unions use in organizing campaigns. Experience with a variety of campaigns ranging from NLRB elections to Corporate Social Responsibility.
- Familiarity with issues facing people with developmental disabilities and the importance of community centered services and individual choice.
- Thorough knowledge of strategies used in legislative, political and organizing campaigns.
- Knowledge and experience in the use of polling, research and direct mail strategies in campaigns.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to develop good working relationships with local unions and allies.
- Ability to recruit, lead, develop and supervise staff.
- Ability to develop strategies, budgets and plans.
- Ability to develop political campaign plans, programs, logistics and timelines.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and meet established deadlines.
- Skill in the use of personal computer, including Microsoft Office and the Internet.
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Long and extended hours and extensive travel required.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/msh28sb
No comments yet.