Position and Background
The National Immigration Law Center (NILC) is seeking Health Policy Attorney or Analyst to help organize NILC’s federal health policy advocacy which is aimed at ensuring that low-income immigrants have access to affordable health care and coverage. This position will work closely with NILC’s DC Director and the Access to Health Care Project Manager to develop and implement NILC’s federal immigrant health policy agenda.
The National Immigration Law Center’s mission is to defend and advance the rights of low-income immigrants and their families. NILC envisions a country in which all people—regardless of their race, gender, immigration or economic status—are treated fairly and humanely, and have equal access to justice, education, government resources and economic opportunities that make it possible for them to achieve their full human potential. NILC has been a national leader for over three decades in legal and policy advocacy efforts to ensure that low-income immigrants have opportunities to prosper and thrive. Through innovative policy and legal advocacy strategies, we have won landmark decisions protecting fundamental due process and civil rights, thwarted policy changes that would have devastated the lives of low-income immigrants and their family members, and advanced major policies that reinforce our nation’s values of equality and justice for all.
Responsibilities also include but are not limited to…
• Conducts legislative and administrative advocacy to promote and protect access to affordable health care coverage and services for low-income immigrants, including developing comments on proposed legislation.
• Works closely with NILC’s Public Benefits Policy Analyst to monitor and assess the impact of federal legislative and regulatory developments and proposals, including comprehensive immigration reform proposals, on access to affordable health care and government benefits for low-income immigrants and their families.
• Analyzes policies and is responsible for writing and disseminating fact sheets, legal analyses, policy updates, articles, action alerts and other materials for Congressional and executive branch staff and advocates nationwide.
• Provides policy and technical expertise to legislative staff and advocates on federal policies.
• Plans and conducts trainings for audiences of varied legal experience and provides technical assistance on related substantive issues to attorneys, government officials, and advocates nationwide.
• Builds and leads alliances with strategic partners.
• Assist in other related duties as assigned.
• JD degree and active membership in a State Bar; or, Masters in Public Policy or Administration, Health Policy or related degree required.
• Must have a minimum of 5 years federal or state health policy experience, ideally with expertise at intersection of immigration and health policy.
• Experience analyzing impact of laws, regulations, and legislative proposals.
• Experience working on legislative campaigns strongly preferred.
• Experience building and leading alliances with strategic partners.
• Familiarity with Capitol Hill’s procedures and processes.
The ideal candidate will also possess…
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and effectively in writing and verbally.
• Excellent research and analysis skills.
• Strong planning and organizational skills along with demonstrated ability to take initiative and develop an effective agenda for the work.
• Experience working with diverse constituencies (immigrant advocates, attorneys, grassroots organizations, etc.).
• Ability to work with minimal supervision and to function as a member of a project and/or departmental team.
• Strong commitment to social justice issues preferred.
Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary DOE. Benefits include health, dental, and vision; flexible spending account; disability and life insurance; 403(b) employer retirement plan.
Please send cover letter, resume, a 3 to 5 page writing sample, and at least five professional references to the National Immigration Law Center, Ref #HADC0813 in PDF format by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 23, 2013. Please use “HADC0813” as your subject line and let us know where you heard about the job opportunity in your cover letter. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis with priority given to applications received by the deadline. Position is open immediately. Please do not send duplicate materials. Incomplete applications will not be considered. You must have all materials requested above in your application. No phone calls, please.
NILC is an equal opportunity employer; people of color and individuals from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. NILC does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, citizenship status, ethnic background, religion, political orientation, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or disability.