Digital Membership Coordinator
Job title: Digital Membership Coordinator
Position reports to: Director of Development
Position location: Washington, D.C.
Friends of the Earth is a hard-hitting, progressive, environmental organization that pulls no punches and speaks sometimes uncomfortable truth to power. It’s an approach that has worked for four decades to produce important victories that help protect our planet and its people. We’re part of Friends of the Earth International, a federation of groups working in 74 countries on today’s most urgent environmental and social issues.
Friends of the Earth is fighting to champion the environment and create a more healthy and just world. To accomplish our mission, we are working at the nexus of environmental protection, economic policy, and social justice to fundamentally transform the way our country and the world value people and the environment.
Friends of the Earth’s membership department seeks a digital communications professional to expand our organization’s capacity and ability to engage our membership through online advocacy and other digital engagement tools.
The Digital Membership Coordinator will collaborate with fundraising, program and communications staff to deliver compelling, engaging content to Friends of the Earth’s 260,000+ email subscribers.
The successful candidate will have deep experience in online advocacy and fundraising and will bring expert knowledge of cutting edge trends in email communications, including landing page and email deliverability optimization.
The right candidate will be versed in presenting complex campaign work in accessible language that can engage broad audiences, and s/he will be adept and experienced at using engagement statistics (e.g. open, click through, conversion rates) to maximize results.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Develop advocacy and fundraising content in collaboration with development, program and communications teams;
• Advise program staff on digital advocacy strategy, tactics, and best practices;
• Design and implement a/b testing to maximize conversion rates;
• Primary management of Salsa CRM system;
• Management of email calendar;
• Monitor and maximize email deliverability;
• Aggressively grow email subscriber list;
• Manage vendors contracted on digital membership projects;
• Provide analytics of, and recommendations on, audience data, survey results, and outreach metrics;
• Develop and implement audience segmentation system;
• Keep abreast of new trends in online advocacy and fundraising in order to provide creative ideas to the communications and development teams;
• Maintain high levels of competence, creativity and professionalism.
Skills and Knowledge
• Bachelors degree;
• Exceptional written communications skills, with particular emphasis on digital advocacy and fundraising;
• Minimum 3 years experience in online communications and fundraising;
• High interest in, and awareness of, news, politics, policy developments and issues related to Friends of the Earth and its program areas;
• Adept at cross-team collaboration and committed to building consensus;
• Enthusiasm and a passion for all things online, with a dedication to seek out and share ideas, tactics and trend data on a regular basis;
• Experience maximizing email deliverability in an ever-changing digital ecosystem;
• Experience working with content management software, website development, and HTML;
• Knowledge of Salsa CRM systems strongly preferred;
• Knowledge of other programming languages a plus, but not required;
• Experience with online analytics, such as Google Analytics;
• A dedicated team player – no rogues;
• Exceptional and demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy;
• Ability to excel while working under multiple deadlines;
• Passionate for protecting the environment and social justice.
• Availability and willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed to meet deadlines.
Salary and Benefits
Friends of the Earth offers a competitive salary, based upon experience and responsibilities.
E-mail cover letter, resume and samples of your most creative online advocacy projects to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Digital Membership Coordinator.” No mail applications or phone calls. The position will remain open until filled.
Friends of the Earth is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of our staff.