Summary of Position: Child Care Aware® of America is our nation’s leading voice for child care. We work to ensure that families in every community have access to quality, affordable child care. The Policy and Research Department is a fundamental function of the organization as it strives to achieve its mission. The Deputy Chief of Policy is responsible for providing leadership and outreach to government, corporate, philanthropy and the general public on issues related to early care and education system and will support the development of our Public Policy Agenda.
In general the Deputy Chief of Policy works to help develop, strengthen and expand relationships between Child Care Aware of America and Congress, the federal government, other nonprofit organizations and professionals that advocate for and promote better child care and early education policies and systems.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assists the Chief of Policy and Research in planning and development of public policy agenda. Works with other NGOs, legislative staff, federal officials, and representatives of other nonprofit and private sector organizations seeking to promote high quality child care and early education programs and policies.
• Represents Child Care Aware of America at coalition meetings, Congressional Office visits in coordination with the Government Affairs Staff, and National Children’s Coalitions.
• Works specifically with the issues with House and Senate Committees to further Child care Aware of America’s public policy agenda.
• Must be willing to travel as needed to provide technical assistance, expertise and national perspectives at various speaking engagements to include workshops, regional conferences, national meetings, convening’s of child care leadership and stakeholder audiences, and work in partnership with other national organizations.
• Participates on the staff Leadership team responsible for cross-departmental and strategic decision making..
• Works in coordination with Chief of Public Policy and Research to engage the CCAoA Public Policy Committee on relevant policy issues.
• Provides input and guidance in policy-related surveys, public opinion polls and research activities.
• Works to implement Child Care Aware of America Board of Directors policy related initiatives as outlined in the strategic plan or as otherwise directed. Works with the Public Policy staff, under the Chief of Policy and Research to support the Board of Directors Public Policy Committee.
• Works in coordination with other Public Policy staff to support initiatives related to Child Care of America’s Board Meetings, Conferences and other Events.
Minimum of a BA degree (Masters preferred) in Public Administration, Government Affairs, Education, Child Development or related field and 5 years’ experience working directly with Congress, preferably on the Hill, to include policy development, planning, advocacy, and program evaluation. In addition, has demonstrated knowledge of legislative procedures, federal and state early care and education policies, and experience working with coalitions. Must have exceptional interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills and be willing to travel.
• Knowledge and experience in the development of public policy, research, and communication agenda.
• Knowledge of the legislative process at the local, state, and federal levels.
• In depth knowledge of national and state policies affecting child care and children.
• Strategic thinking, planning, and management skills to conceptualize a policy agenda and affect its delivery.
• Project management skills to manage complex and varied projects.
• Analytical and critical skills to formulate policy options, and develop viable recommendations.
• Research skills to plan and conduct research and to evaluate research activities.
• Superior writing and presentation skills demonstrated in authoring position papers, reports, and communications materials including speeches, presentations and publications.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills to engage stakeholders, potential partners and collaborators to work on projects of mutual interest.
• Practical business skills with proven experience in budgeting and financial management, establishing partnerships and fund development.
• Excellent computer skills and experience with the Microsoft Office suite of products.
• Encourages and practices critical thinking;
• Is self-reflective and empathic;
• Maintains a respectful and accepting approach to others;
• Strong leader with executive-level influencing skills;
• Collaboratively and creatively supports the work efforts of colleagues at all levels and in all areas of the organization;
• Committed to larger organizational mission.
Send resume to: email@example.com.