The Mercatus Center at George Mason University is the world’s premier university source for market-oriented ideas—bridging the gap between academic ideas and real-world problems. A university-based research center, Mercatus advances knowledge about how markets work to improve people’s lives by training graduate students, conducting research, and applying economics to offer solutions to society’s most pressing problems. Our mission is to generate knowledge and understanding of the institutions that affect the freedom to prosper and to find sustainable solutions that overcome the barriers preventing individuals from living free, prosperous, and peaceful lives. Founded in 1980, the Mercatus Center is located on George Mason University’s Arlington campus.
The Senior Director of Communications and Marketing will lead the strategic development, implementation, and management of external communication strategies for the Mercatus Center at George Mason University, including media relations, marketing, digital, publications, and creative teams. As a member of the senior leadership team, the senior director will work closely with other senior managers to advance the profile of the organization, promote research, and expand the size and scope of key audiences.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
• Guide the overall marketing and communications strategies of the Mercatus Center and provide counsel to leadership with regard to marketing, branding, and communications strategies.
• Develop and implement communication strategies and plans to promote Mercatus research and opportunities as represented in research, publications, events, fellowships, and other activities.
• Oversee the development and maintenance of Mercatus marketing and communications materials that includes: web sites, brochures, social networks, blogs, and videos so that the Mercatus brand and research are communicated consistently and effectively.
• Manage crisis communications and serve as chief spokesperson as required.
• Supervise the budget and staff of the marketing, media relations, digital strategies, creative, and publications teams.
• Bachelor’s degree with 7+ years experience in relevant communications, public relations, media, crisis communications, or marketing positions.
• Demonstrated track record of identifying communication opportunities and developing and leading communication organizations spanning internal and external communications with best-in-class communication practices.
• Relevant work experience with non-profit research and education institutions including universities, policy think-tanks, or other policy related groups.
• Familiarity and well-established relationships with the policy and opinion-shaping community, especially in think tanks, media, and on Capitol Hill.
• Proven experience building brand awareness of an organization through marketing, public relations, and earned media.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills, tact and diplomacy with the ability to develop and maintain cooperative and successful working relationships with outside constituencies and partners, as well as staff, contractors, and supporters.
• Experience supervising growing teams and individuals with a wide range of skills and experiences.
Please submit the following with your application:
• Cover letter, which must include your philosophical interest in the mission of the Mercatus Center.
• Flexible, professional, open office environment that encourages innovation and entrepreneurship and provides substantial opportunity for professional growth;
• Health and dental insurance coverage (which includes paying 100% of the health insurance premium and tax-free reimbursement of all deductible expenses, and paying 100% of the dental insurance premium);
• Flexible Spending Accounts, long-term disability and life insurance, 403(b) retirement savings program
One free course per semester at George Mason University.