Senior Policy Coordinator Grade: PS4
This position is the lead responsible for providing sophisticated, highly skilled analysis of social, economic and public policy trends in support of SEIU’s goals.
Primary Responsibilities: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
* Initiates and conducts analysis of topics of concern to SEIU to support legislative initiatives, industry organizing opportunities, grassroots campaigns or other political mobilization work.
* Analyzes policy options, proposed regulations and legislative proposals for their impact on members and locals, and to further the union’s goals around growth and organizing.
* Represents SEIU in public forums internally and externally as an advocate.
* Meets with representatives of agencies, elected officials, management and other unions to promote SEIU members’ interests.
* Develops written material, including correspondence, legislative testimony, research reports and policy memoranda for use internally and externally.
* Makes significant contributions to the strategic plans for SEIU’s campaigns, and to further the union’s policy and growth objectives.
* Assists the division policy director in the development of work plans and strategy for achieving the union’s growth and issue campaign goals.
* Testifies on behalf of SEIU as needed.
* Coordinates department work with other departments/Division as needed; advocates for department priorities in cross-departmental efforts
* Serves as a primary coordinator with advocates with outside organizations and other unions as assigned.
* Prepares strategic recommendations for issue development.
* Monitors federal, state and local legislative and regulatory activity on key matters; keeps Government Relations staff, divisions, locals and leaders apprised on key policy developments and recommends union positions.
* Maintains files and performs personal clerical duties as necessary.
* Performs other duties as required to support the department and its mission.
Include SEIU and affiliate staff and other experts on policy issues.
Direction and Decision Making:
This position reports to the appropriate divisional Policy Director, and the incumbent works independently.
Education and Experience:
* Bachelor of Arts or Science degree in Public Policy, Economics or related field; seven (7) years of experience in policy analysis; and experience with issue development in a political context are required. Masters degree preferred.
* Thorough knowledge of areas of interest to the relevant SEIU division. This includes knowledge of the specific industries, sectors, occupations and other issues of concern to the respective division.
* Thorough knowledge of policy analysis, including appropriate federal and state statutory, regulatory, budgetary and administrative processes.
* Thorough knowledge of issue development in a political context.
* Knowledge of unions and their issues.
* Ability to conduct high level policy analysis.
* Ability to use personal computer, including spreadsheets, databases and on-line research services.
* Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
* Ability to conduct formal research, analyze data and make sound, logical conclusions.
* Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
* Ability to make formal presentations and write advocacy papers.
* Ability to handle multiple priority projects simultaneously and meet established timelines.
* Advanced skills in the use of personal computers for purposes of financial and data analysis.
* Advanced skills in the use of spreadsheets, database management systems, presentation software and on-line information sources.
* Detail orientation with strong organizational skills
* Ability to manage time effectively while maintaining a high level of productivity
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Long and extended hours and travel may be required.
A writing sample must be submitted upon request
Probationary Period: 36 weeks
In addition to a resume, a cover letter is required for all applications. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holiday and vacation policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/bmn2vjn