Senior Organizer Grade III
Purpose of Position:
To represent and assist the International Union in organizing; to take responsibility for major campaigns and to act in a leadership role with respect to program and other staff; to perform advanced training for organizers, staff, and worker leaders of SEIU; and to design and implement organizing goals of SEIU.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Performs a wide range of duties as assigned by the International Union, including but not limited to the following:
* Designs and manages large organizing campaigns or multiple smaller campaigns including organizing, comprehensive campaigns, strikes, and political action. Works with field, industry division, and local staff to coordinate all aspects of the campaign including vision, strategy, timeline, communication, community outreach, and politics.
* Develops and implements division, regional, or political programs.
* Coordinates and directs organizing staff including scheduling, assigning turf, debriefing, and training.
* Develops and implements training for staff and worker leaders on the campaign to further develop skills and understanding of the campaign.
* Provides feedback to staff on their performance while on the campaign. Provides information on staff performance to the campaign director.
* Assists local unions in the development of an organizing program.
* Oversees management of the campaign data base, list, and cards.
* Develops and monitors the campaign budget for the campaign.
* Directs major negotiations tied to organizing campaigns.
* Coordinates affiliations and mergers campaigns.
* Performs other duties as required to assist the International Union.
* Must be available for frequent travel with overnight stays required. Long and irregular hours.
Scope and Nature of Supervision
* Must be able to act and organize time with extreme independence.
* A high level of judgment, ability to take initiative and work independently; must be able to work with elected leaders, worker leaders, and staff in complex and sometimes political situations.
* Must be able to handle multiple “priority” projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines.
* Reports to the Region or Division Organizing Coordinator and/or Region or Division Organizing Director.
Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
Previous Work Experience
* Three to five years of work in external labor union organizing.
* Demonstrated experience in developing and leading organizing campaigns.
* Previous experience with the labor movement or other advocacy organizations preferred.
Specialized Knowledge and Training
* Excellent writing, verbal, and analytical communication skills.
* Thorough knowledge of organizing and political campaign strategies.
* Ability to develop and train staff and worker leaders in the skills needed for the campaign.
* Knowledge of organizing campaign data base management tools such as Organizer Toolbox or other similar applications. Skill in the use of Microsoft Office programs.
* Ability to write and proofread campaign communications materials.
A resume and cover letter are required for all applications. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holiday and vacation policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/pypd65qxgf