Research Associate for the Low Wage Workers Campaign Grade PS1A
Overview: SEIU is looking for research associates for our national Low Wage Workers campaign located in Washington, DC. We are looking for self-starting, intellectually curious people who are excited about developing expertise in new areas of corporate research.
We may be looking for you if:
• You want to use a wide variety of research methods to analyze the behavior of large and sophisticated organizations.
• You hate not knowing the answer to something and you want to dig until you find it.
• You are not shy about talking with workers to document the effect of low-wage jobs on families and communities.
About SEIU: SEIU has 2 million members in the US and Canada primarily in health care, property services and public service. SEIU is on the cutting edge of progressive activism, building power by uniting workers to build better communities and strengthen our democracy.
Join us if you want to fight for a just society:
• Where all workers are valued and all people are respected.
• Where all families and communities thrive.
• Where we leave a better and more equal world for generations to come.
The Research Associate is responsible for research in support of local and national campaigns to challenge America’s largest corporations to take responsibility for how their business practices effect working families and their communities.[BS1]
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
• Compiles, researches, presents and summarizes data on industries, companies, individuals, issues and other topics in support of SEIU’s program.
• Responds to requests for information from Locals and appropriately defines and develops them; makes referrals as necessary.
• Synthesizes relevant facts/issues from a large amount of information/data.
• Works with Local Union staff to gather and provide information in a timely fashion.
• Develops and implements his/her weekly work plan; meets deadlines.
• Demonstrates the capability to learn and develop new skills.
• Performs other duties as required to support the department and its mission.
Include SEIU staff and others related to research issues.
Direction and Decision Making:
This position reports to the Assistant Director/and or Research Coordinator.
Education and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in economics, business, statics, labor relations or a related field and two (2) years experience in research, with demonstrated ability in quantitative or qualitative research, even as a student. Successful completion of the required research test.
A combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Knowledge of research techniques and processes.
• Knowledge of quantitative techniques and analysis.
• Skilled in the use of personal computers, including proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet and, database programs and on-line research services.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
Work is generally performed in an office setting. Long and extended hours and travel required.
As a Research Associate , employees are considered probationary for the period of time they in this job title. No employee may serve more than twelve months as a Research Associate and must qualify to advance to Research Analyst by the end of the probationary period.
SEIU staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holiday and vacation policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
In addition to your resume, a writing sample of analytical research paper and a cover letter are required for all applications. Your cover letter should include your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan. Successful completion of the required research test.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/qt77hpt