Third Way is seeking a Policy Advisor for its Economic Program. The Policy Advisor will conduct research and author concise, high-impact products that highlight and analyze changes in the U.S. economy, including in the areas of business, labor markets, and finance. These products are distributed directly to policymakers and widely circulated through national media.
The Policy Advisor works closely with the team’s other members and reports to the Deputy Director of the Economic Program. Responsibilities include: • Conducting original-source research and authoring high-impact written reports, memos, and presentations that illuminate how the U.S. economy works and how it is changing.
- • Building and maintaining relationships with key constituencies, such as policymakers and their staff, industry leaders, and academics, in order to advance Third Way’s mission; • Monitoring and analyzing online databases, media, and reports from government, NGOs, and academia to stay informed on select economic issues;
- • Planning occasional policy events such as panels and lectures; and
- • Completing other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate has the following qualifications and skills: • A deep understanding of and passion for economics and the demonstrated ability to write clearly on complex economic topics for a general audience;
- • A minimum of two years of relevant experience working on or writing about the U.S. economy or economic policy in government, as a journalist, at a research institution, or in the private sector;
- • A graduate degree in economics, public policy, or business—or an undergraduate degree in a relevant field plus exceptionally relevant work experience; and
- • Experience conducting quantitative analysis, involving the original interpretation and presentation of economic data, using Excel and/or other statistical software.
Unlike traditional think tanks, we do not house scholars who work in silos on academic research. Instead, we are built around policy teams that create high-impact products to influence today’s major policy debates. The ideal candidate would thrive in a culture that is: • Self-starting: We seek people who see and seize opportunities, take risks, learn from failure, and will bring a sustained passion for our mission.
- • Collaborative: We work in teams—sharing ideas, brainstorming, co-authoring products, and advancing our shared priorities. • Creative: We foster divergent thinking that isn’t afraid to take on the orthodoxies of the left or the right. We come up with original insights, find unique ways to look at data, and challenge our own preconceptions.
- • Results-oriented: We run Third Way with an organization-wide commitment to clear objectives, ambitious timelines, accountability for results, and a focus on impact.
Competitive compensation and benefits
Submit cover letter, resume, one short writing sample (1-3 pages), and salary requirements to: email@example.com with “Policy Advisor – Economic Program” as the subject line.