To represent and assist the International Union in achieving the National Organizing Program goals in the field; to supervise, train and direct teams of International Union staff, local union staff, or special project staff; to design and implement organizing and affiliation plans in collaboration with Local Union Organizing Directors; to plan large scale campaigns covering large geographic areas with Regional Organizing Directors.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Organizing Coordinator II has major responsibility for the field administration of the overall national organizing program and performs a wide range of duties and responsibilities which may encompass many of those included in the Organizing Coordinator I job description. In addition, the Organizing Coordinator II will routinely:
1. Provides organizing leadership on major campaigns involving large scale and large geographic areas, innovative strategies, coordination of local union and international resources, inter-union and multi-union political complexities, and complex staffing arrangements.
2. Oversees requests for organizing assistance from locals and deals directly with such requests.
3. Builds effective organizing teams through development of comprehensive staff development plans.
4. Supervises, leads, assigns, and evaluates staff including developing individual work plans and overseeing their implementation and evaluation. Administers corrective discipline including termination if necessary.
5. Recruits, interviews, and recommends hiring of staff
6. Creates and administers organizing plans and campaign budgets including strategic planning, budget development, and office administration. Authorizes expenditures within the campaign budget.
7. Creates mutual assistance plans among SEIU locals unions and other organizations for member organizing, loaning organizer exchanges, organizer training, multi-local campaigns, and development of local union’s organizing capacity.
8. Propose and carry out innovative ideas and large scale plans to achieve SEIU’s organizing goals
Education and Experience:
B.A. degree or at least three (5) years of supervisory experience and seven (7) years of related work experience or combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
* Demonstrated ability to exercise high level of judgment, leadership, and commitment to the goals of SEIU and its leaders.
* Ability to execute campaign goals and objectives, to work effectively with local leaders, and carry out required objectives.
* Extensive experience directing large, complex campaigns.
* Thorough knowledge of labor program planning and development.
* Knowledge of strategies and techniques used by SEIU to organize and lead division workers.
* Knowledge of unions and their issues.
* Knowledge of bargaining, organizing and organizational management.
* Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; ability to make formal presentations and write advocacy papers.
* Ability to use personal computer.
* Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
* Ability to handle multiple “priority” projects and meet established timelines.
* Ability to work independently and effectively with elected leaders and staff in complex political and local union situations.
* Ability to conduct training sessions.
* Ability to communicate political and policy priorities to SEIU members.
The Organizing Coordinator II must be available for regular and/or long-term travel over large geographic areas. The position often requires temporary assignments away from home as well as long and irregular hours.
Scope and Nature of Supervision:
The Organizing Coordinator II must be able to act and organize his/her time independently and report regularly to the Regional Organizing Director. The Organizing Coordinator II is supervised by the Regional Organizing Director.
Criteria for Evaluation:
The Organizing Coordinator II will be evaluated for their success in carrying out the duties and responsibilities outlined above. Special attention will be paid to their ability to execute campaign goals and objectives, to work effectively with local leaders, and carry out required objectives in a professional manner in keeping with SEIU’s overall goals and expectations.
A resume and cover letter are required for all applications. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holiday and vacation policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/cj3hxtj