Office Manager – DC Office of a National Law Firm (Washington DC NW)
DC office, of a prominent national law firm, is seeking an experienced office manager for our 30 attorney office located in NW DC. Ideal candidate will have 3-5 years of experience working as an office manager in a law firm or professional services industry. Some HR experience is helpful but not required. This office does NOT have an Office Services employee, so Office Manager will be responsible for some of those duties, approving invoices, ordering supplies, maintenance of the office, etc.
Excellent opportunity to gain legal experience in a well tenured law firm.
Salary: $55,000 – $85,000 depending on experience plus competitive benefits package.
**Excellent job tenure a must!
TITLE: Washington D.C. Office Manager
REPORTS TO: D.C. Managing Partner
Manage all aspects of the Washington D.C. office, including but not limited to staff, office facilities and specific accounting functions. Assure that the Washington D.C. office operates in a smooth and efficient manner so that attorneys and staff can work efficiently.
1. Interview and hire secretaries, office staff and paralegals as required. Place classified ads in newspapers and online for all positions. Work with employment agencies as required. Maintain interview/resume log for all positions. Send out letters in response to all employment inquiries. Counsel staff when issues arise and terminate staff when required.
2. Consult with other department managers regarding the hiring of staff within their departments when position is located in the Washington D.C. office. Work with other managers regarding performance issues.
3. Meet with staff to review annual evaluations. Make recommendations for staff increases along with the Director of Human Resources.
4. Issue new employee paperwork for staff and attorneys, including policies, employee ID/Security card, parking card and keys to office. Arrange with IS Department for computer and telephone training.
5. Coordinate workflow to provide coverage for attorneys when their secretaries are on vacation or out sick.
6. Approve all purchases and invoices. Send invoices to headquarters’ Accounting Department for payment.
7. Make arrangements for all Washington D.C. parties and events, including working with caterers and food selection. Several large events are the D.C. Holiday party, Staff Anniversary party and specific marketing events and firm events.
8. Meet with D.C. Managing Partner to review staffing and office needs and address those needs in a timely manner.
9. Work with all staff and attorneys to address specific problems i.e. personnel issues, conflict issues, etc.. Help to resolve issues in a professional and calm manner.
10. Oversee all facility issues that arise including but not limited to building problems, office moves, etc.
11. Maintain D.C. Operating account. Prepare checks for filing and recording fees, etc.
12. Maintain D.C. IOLTA account. Prepare manual checks when necessary and coordinate with headquarters accounting.
13. Participate in HR Learning communities through membership in professional associations through local and regional networks of professionals and through active use of HR publications.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Ability to communicate and work well with both staff and attorneys.
2. Extremely organized, self motivated and have the ability to work independently.
3. Ability to anticipate issues and resolve those issues before they become problems.
4. Knowledge of accounting principles.
5. Previous law firm management experience.
6. Bachelor’s degree or experience in lieu of college degree.