The Treatment Advocacy Center (TAC) seeks a legislative and policy associate/counsel to join our dynamic advocacy team. TAC is a highly regarded national nonprofit based in Arlington, Virginia, dedicated to using advocacy to eliminate barriers to the timely and effective treatment of severe mental illness.
TAC promotes non-partisan laws and policies to ensure the most severely mentally ill receive the care they need. TAC is responsible for significant legal reforms in more than 27 states and is recognized as an expert in state civil commitment laws and the impact of failed mental health policies, especially related to the impact on law enforcement and the criminalization of those with a severe mental illness.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Lobbying states to adopt progressive mental illness treatment laws;
• Advocating for federal mental health reform, including regulatory reform;
• Assisting with state implementation of state civil commitment laws;
• Educating policymakers, media and the public about the benefits of timely and effective treatment for severe mental illness.
• Providing technical assistance to advocates and stakeholder organizations on state legislative and regulatory issues and strategies.
• Developing accurate and persuasive messages for multiple audiences including mainstream media (e.g., letters to the editor, op-eds), professional publications, TAC’s website and blog, social media and elsewhere as appropriate.
• Initiating and assisting in liaison activities with allied organizations.
• Making presentations to national, regional and local organizations on benefits of progressive treatment laws.
• Affinity for the Treatment Advocacy Center mission.
• At least three years of professional experience, including demonstrated knowledge of the legislative and political process; Capitol Hill or statehouse experience preferred.
• A Bachelor’s degree and excellent oral and written communication skills required; JD preferred.
• Previous experience in legislative drafting, monitoring and analyzing public policy; experience with health care and/or criminal justice issues preferred.
• Advocacy experience, especially related to online advocacy and mobilizing grassroots advocates a plus.
• This position will travel up to 20% of work schedule.
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Benefits include: three weeks vacation plus holidays and sick time; health, dental, life, disability insurance; 403(b) retirement plan with employer contribution; free parking.
Email resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to: AdvocacyJobs@TreatmentAdvocacyCenter.org with the subject line, “Legislative and Policy Counsel.” Position open until filled. No phone calls.
Job description also online at: http://www.treatmentadvocacycenter.org/about-us/employment