Trust for America’s Health (TFAH) seeks a Government Relations (GR) Associate. The GR Associate will work with the Government Relations team to support implementation of TFAH’s legislative and regulatory priorities around public health and disease prevention. He/she will perform pertinent background research on key issues and policies; help draft fact sheets, testimony, and other advocacy documents; and provide staff support for the development and implementation of legislative and regulatory strategies, development of policy goals, and collaboration with partner organizations. The GR Associate works as integral member of the team, sharing responsibility for strategy development and associated tasks toward the accomplishment of identified goals. Major functions include:
1. Work with the Government Relations team to provide a broad range of staff support for TFAH’s established public policy objectives, including monitoring of legislative and regulatory issues; development of supporting materials; and outreach to, and education of, key federal policymakers.
2. Advance legislative and regulatory agenda by drafting and advocating for legislative and regulatory proposals in support of TFAH’s priority areas; providing analysis of pending legislation and regulatory proposals; tracking grants in priority policy areas; and developing and advocating for TFAH’s public health funding priorities.
3. Engage and mobilize external support for TFAH’s public policy and organizational priorities, and provide staff support for advocacy efforts.
This position reports to the Director of Government Relations.
ONGOING DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provide support for TFAH’s legislative and regulatory activities related to issues impacting public health and prevention, and manage TFAH’s work in issue areas as assigned.
2. Conduct background research and prepare materials including fact sheets, testimony, spreadsheets, funding charts and other visuals for distribution to Congress, the Administration and partner organizations.
3. Provide logistic and administrative support to TFAH staff through organizing, publicizing, and developing materials for Congressional briefings and meetings, advocacy days and other areas as assigned.
4. Attend relevant Congressional and regulatory meetings, hearings, issue briefings and related activities in order to advance TFAH’s legislative priorities.
5. Regularly monitor relevant legislative and regulatory issues using the Congressional Record, Federal Register, and Congressional Quarterly.
6. Help to enhance TFAH’s strong partnerships with other organizations and coalitions, including organizing and preparing for regular coalition meetings.
7. Assist with management and updating of advocacy materials on TFAH’s website and various databases.
8. Assist in the preparation of updates for board of directors and management team.
9. Assist in copyediting TFAH reports and fact sheets before publication.
10. Other duties and tasks as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s degree in political science, public policy, public health or a related field. One to two years of Capitol Hill experience or other relevant professional experience is ideal.
2. Knowledge of public health principles and/or hands-on experience in the public health service delivery system.
3. Demonstrated ability to work well under limited time constraints; the ability to prioritize multiple tasks; attention to detail; and willingness to assume responsibility where and when needed.
4. Possess strong written and verbal communication skills.
5. Ability to work well independently, and in a group setting with confidence and reliability.
6. Demonstrated qualities of leadership, maturity and commitment to the improvement of the public health system and structure.
7. Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite. Candidate should have the ability to learn new programs and troubleshoot when necessary. Experience with Word Press and database maintenance preferred, and experience with publishing software is helpful.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume and short writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. Salary commensurate with experience. No calls please. Trust for America’s Health is an equal opportunity employer.