Deputy Director National Immigration Reform Campaign Grade: E
Purpose: This position is responsible for assisting in the execution of the SEIU Immigrant Justice campaign including development, implementation, and coordination of the Fast for Families Across America tour, the member and local engagement program of the campaign, and grassroots, grasstops and electoral strategy to move forward the legislative campaign.
• Coordinates and directs various parts of the immigration reform campaign including grass roots mobilization, paid call program, communication and outreach, election related activity, lobbying, coalition work, and leadership development.
• Assists in developing electoral campaign plans tied to the immigration reform campaign
• Develops and implements Congressional grassroots lobbying campaigns and accountability plans in Washington DC and in targeted states and Congressional districts during the electoral campaign.
• Coordinates with state councils and local unions in carrying out this program.
• Convenes and coordinates SEIU staff assigned to this program working on legislation, strategic campaigns, communications, and legal issues
• Communicates with SEIU staff on this program.
• Represents SEIU in public forums, internally, and in coalitions.
• Prepares assessments of this program on an ongoing basis.
• Performs other duties as required to support the department and its mission.
• Integrates and coordinates work on this issue through the divisions to broaden and deepen a constituency throughout the union
• Builds and develops functioning and lasting coalitions with supporters and allies (specifically in support of the Fast for Families campaign)
• Coordinates community and political outreach and mobilization
• Hires, trains, and administers staff development of the research coordinator and staff assigned to assist in the Fast for Families campaign;
• Leads the work of the immigration research coordinator, oversees and supervises the work of organizers and coalition partners assigned to the Fast for Families campaign (on loan/in-kinded to the Fast for Families campaign)
• Develops and manages the budget for the Fast for Families campaign, the member lobby program and the paid call program in support of immigration reform
• Builds community, political, religious support for campaign
Includes SEIU and affiliate staff and leaders, coalition partners, Congressional staff and representatives.
Direction and Decision-Making:
This position reports to the Immigrant Justice Campaign Director and helps direct the campaign staff. Directs the locals and member engagement and mobilization, paid and online call program and assists in the accountability programs of the campaign.
Education and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Public Policy or related field (Politics, History, Economics) and seven (7) years of experience in electoral and legislative lobbying of elected officials or government agencies. Four (4) years prior experience working in comprehensive campaigns, political action and election campaigns at a senior level, policy analysis, community advocacy in relevant issues areas.
All applicants/incumbent must have a combination of education and experience that would provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Proven track record at leading, planning and implementing strategic social justice advocacy campaigns at national and local level
• Established relationships and working understanding of immigrant rights, labor, or social justice organizations and networks
• Ability to communicate effectively in one-on-one and group settings, both verbally and in writing; proven presentation skills
• Demonstrated ability to analyze key and timely community issues and sensitive political situations.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently to plan and carry out goals and timetables
• Ability to handle multiple priority projects: good organizational skills
• Ability to analyze data and make sound, logical decisions
• Ability to demonstrate high level of proven leadership and judgment
• Demonstrated ability to manage and coordinate staff and manage projects
• Demonstrated ability to work with all levels of leaders, staff, and members in complex and political situations
• Thorough knowledge of and commitment to unions and their constituencies
• Thorough knowledge of political/electoral campaigns and issues
• Skilled in MS Office Suite
Work is preformed in both an office and field setting. Long and extended hours and extensive travel required.
A resume and cover letter are required for all applications. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holiday and vacation policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/g355dxd