If you are a recent college graduate or a current graduate student who is passionate about improving global health through communications and advocacy, the Global Health Strategies (GHS) Internship Program offers a unique opportunity for professional growth and learning.
Our interns are entrepreneurial, innovative and strategic thinkers with excellent communications and analytical skills. Interns are team players and have a strong commitment to our clients. They also bring a sense of humor and enjoy having fun.
Objectives of the GHS Internship Program
The GHS Internship Program affords young professionals the opportunity to:
Gain exposure to the field of global health communications and advocacy
Hone their writing, research and strategic thinking skills
Work with high-profile clients on high-impact projects
Attend presentations and trainings with leaders in the global health field
Receive professional evaluation, assessment and mentorship
The Intern Experience
Interns work closely with GHS staff to assist in the design and implementation of communications and advocacy strategies for a range of issues in global health, including infectious disease, immunization, women’s health and universal health coverage. Interns are provided hands-on experience meaningfully contributing to client goals.
Interns spend 75%-80% of their time on client work and the remaining 20%-25% on operational tasks and participation in training and development opportunities.
Client work may include:
Contributing to the research and writing of strategy memos, media materials and issue briefs
Monitoring and analyzing media coverage and advocate conversations about global health issues
Providing logistics support for conferences, meetings and events that GHS organizes on behalf of clients
Managing databases of global health media, policymakers and opinion leaders
Assisting GHS staff with project management (e.g., drafting meeting minutes, updating work plans, tracking budgets)
Training and development opportunities may include:
Weekly support with an intern manager; monthly mentorship with member of the GHS senior management team
Access to skills trainings and brown-bag lunches at GHS with leaders in the global health field
Sponsorship to attend global health events in NYC
Participation in a leadership breakfast/lunch with the GHS principals
Intern Program Qualifications & Structure:
GHS’s interns generally hold bachelor’s degrees and have an interest in global health, communications and/or advocacy. They are excellent writers, researchers and critical thinkers.
Experience with communications and advocacy on digital media platforms is a plus
Interns are hired for 6-month rotations with flexible start dates
Internships may be extended on a case-by-case basis
Internships are full-time, paid positions