Assistant Director for Federal Government Affairs Grade: E
Purpose: * The Assistant Director for Federal Government Affairs is responsible for translating SEIU’s broad policy goals into specific legislative and executive actions, and developing and implementing plans to achieve these goals.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES: (Any one position may not include all of the specific duties and responsibilities listed. Examples provide a general summary of the work required and should not be treated as a total and complete list of expected duties to be performed by employees in the classification.)
* In consultation with the Legislative Director, lead efforts to translate broad policy goals into specific legislative and executive actions, and develop and implement plans to achieve these goals.
* Coordinate and work in conjunction with allies, policy experts, economists and others in the translation of broad policy goals into specific legislative and executive actions.
* Engage with and synthesize the work of interdisciplinary teams of lawyers, researchers, and policy staff to develop legislative and executive actions.
* Conduct legislative and policy research in support of the Government Relations Department’s goals.
* Draft proposed legislation, regulations, executive orders and other policy initiatives.
* Research and develop policy material, including analysis, talking points, fact sheets, presentations, policy memos, issue briefs, and background documents.
* Engage with high level Congressional and, where appropriate, agency staff in the development and implementation of bills and executive actions.
Include SEIU and affiliate staff, congressional staff, agency staff, and other unions’ relevant officials.
Direction and Decision Making:
This position reports to the Director for Legislation. The position will also work independently.
Education and Experience:
Graduation from an accredited 4-year college or university with a bachelor’s degree in a relevant area and at least 5 years of progressively responsible experience working in a policy or legislative position in government. Congressional committee experience strongly preferred. The combination of education and experience that should provide for the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
* Thorough knowledge of the legislative and policy-making process at the federal level.
* Knowledge of unions or other advocacy organizations.
* Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; ability to make formal presentations and write advocacy papers.
* Ability to combine substantive expertise with strategic judgment in the conduct of policy analysis and issue development.
* Ability to coordinate and integrate work of multidisciplinary teams to develop legislative and executive actions.
* Ability to work with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
* Ability to conduct formal research, analyze data and make sound, logical conclusions.
* Ability to handle multiple priority projects and meet established timelines.
The successful candidate must be a creative, strategic, precise thinker with a strong understanding of federal policy-making processes and a solid understanding of the levers available to the federal government to effectuate public policy goals. The ability to develop a deep understanding of an issue quickly and thoroughly is a must. Exceptional analytic, research, and writing skills are required.
Work is generally performed in an office setting, but may be required to work in other settings conducive to performing the tasks required to complete assignments. Travel and long and extended hours are required.
A cover letter is required for all applications. Your cover letter should explain your reason for wanting to work for SEIU, an example of how you demonstrated success in a similar position and a description of how this position fits into your long-term career plan.
SEIU staff enjoy top notch benefits including comprehensive health benefits, major medical, dental and vision for employee and eligible dependents, domestic partner benefits, competitive salaries, generous holiday and vacation policies, and both a pension plan and a 401(K) Plan.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/srggn43