The Brady Campaign and Center to Prevent Gun Violence (Brady) is seeking a Chief Operating Officer (COO) to ensure the organization achieves its mission during a key period of forward momentum and strategic focus. The COO will work closely with the President to maximize the internal operating efficiency through organization building and administrative oversight. An essential member of the executive leadership team, the COO will develop and maintain the internal platform of processes and policies necessary for Brady to accomplish its strategic objectives at this critical moment of opportunity for the efforts to prevent gun violence in America.
This is a unique opportunity for a seasoned, strategic and mission-focused leader with experience scaling an organization, leading an executive management team, and developing a performance culture among a group of dynamic and talented individuals.
This position reports to the President.
• Partner with the President in essential internal firm leadership activities (strategic and organizational planning, human resources, and administration).
• Enhance and lead the infrastructure and communications systems necessary to maintain a highly effective and cohesive organization.
• Work closely with senior team to ensure their work is alignment with the organization’s goals.
• Identify best practices and improve internal systems with an eye toward future needs and budget realities.
• Equip the President to engage the Board of Directors and external partners productively.
• Equip senior team with training and tools to establish and achieve results-focused goals.
• Oversight and monitoring of organizational performance metrics and support of internal learning practices and systems.
Financial Management & Oversight
• Working with the Director of Finance, oversee all financial and business planning activities, including:
o Oversee business policies and accounting practices
o Review and analyze financial reports
o Support and advise the President in decision-making
o Support organizational budgeting process
• Ensure that relevant financial data is presented to the President and Board of Directors with appropriate recommendations.
• Ensure compliance with applicable financial regulations and fiscal responsibility best-practices.
• Optimize and oversee comprehensive standard operating procedures for the organization.
• Working closely with the Operations Manager, oversee the human resource function including: recruitment, hiring and compensation; benefits administration and oversight; professional training, development; and employee performance evaluation.
• Oversee risk management and legal activities including contracts, leases and other agreements. Review and execute contracts, leases and other agreements. Evaluate existing insurance coverage and procure additional insurance policies, as appropriate.
• Ensure compliance with federal, state and local employment regulations.
• Oversee organization-wide procurement, including negotiation with consultants and vendors.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• 10+ years in a senior role (Chief of Staff, Deputy Director or Director of Operations).
• Experience building and scaling an organization.
• Experience in organizational management with the ability to develop and empower a senior team.
• Thorough understanding of wide range of business functions including strategic planning, organizational development, fiscal management, systems building, and HR.
• Flexible and able to manage multiple projects and deadlines in a fast moving environment while driving toward clarity effective solutions.
• Analytic and decisive with the ability to prioritize and communicate key objectives and tactics necessary to achieve organizational goals.
• Entrepreneurial, action-oriented, and creative approach to operational management.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Experience in in political or advocacy related work preferred.
• Experience working closely with a Board of Directors
• Passionate about the organization’s mission.
The Brady Campaign & Center to Prevent Gun Violence (Brady) plays a vital, leadership role in achieving change in gun laws, policies, and practices in this country. Our mission is to significantly decrease the number of gun deaths and injuries in America, helping to lead a new path toward the safer nation Americans want. We achieve this through three critical strategies: 1) effect policy change by bringing to bear the voice of the American public, 2) change social norms around the 300 million guns currently in circulation through public health and safety campaigns; and 3) take legal action to hold the gun industry accountable for dangerous and irresponsible practices.
Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes health benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a cover letter and resume online at: http://leaderfit.catsone.com/careers/index.php?m=portal&a=details&jobOrderID=3344856.
Submissions will be accepted until the position is filled. The Brady Campaign and Center is an equal opportunity employer.