SMYAL seeks an Executive Director whose entrepreneurial leadership will build on the organization’s thriving, successful track record of supporting and advocating for LGBTQ youth in the DC metropolitan area.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will have the overall responsibility of ensuring sustainability, stewarding organizational strategy, ensuring effective program delivery and quality, motivating staff, and engaging a diverse group of key stakeholders. The Executive Director will work in close partnership with the Board in the areas of strategy, fundraising, and financial management.
The ideal candidate is a passionate leader and communicator with a track record of successfully leading and growing an organization, department, initiative or campaign. Further, s/he is a proven fundraiser and team builder, has a track record of developing strong relationships with diverse audiences, and possesses a deep commitment to LGBTQ youth.
• Provide overall leadership of the SMYAL strategy, staff, programs, administration, and finances to ensure the successful execution of the mission
• Drive diverse and expanded funding strategies that ensure organizational sustainability and allow for the completion of growth goals
• Work with the Board of Directors to refine and implement the organizational strategic plan
• Ensure programs achieve clear, measurable results and the impact is evaluated and communicated
• Refine, build and scale internal processes, systems and policies to ensure efficient and effective workflow that can sustain organizational growth
• Manage and motivate staff to achieve their objectives by providing necessary resources, professional development, performance management, and a positive work environment that supports excellence and mutual respect
• Engage and lead members of the Board to leverage their talents and energy across relevant aspects of the organization
• Maintain and elevate the SMYAL brand and reputation in Washington, DC among public, private and nonprofit stakeholder groups
• Serve as a spokesperson, thought leader, and driver of strategic partnerships in pertinent youth, and education circles
• Bachelor’s degree required
• 7-10 years of leadership experience preferred
• A track record of successfully raising funds for an organization or cause
• Experience managing a budget and driving financial decision-making
• A skilled leader with an ability to motivate, coach, and develop a talented staff and engaged board
• Demonstrated cultural competency in working with individuals and groups from diverse racial, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds
• Superb communication skills and the proven ability to empower a diverse set of key stakeholders within the SMYAL community, including program participants, partners and funders
• Knowledge of the LGBTQ community within the Washington, DC region
• Positive, engaging, and energetic personality
• Confident and inclusive leadership style
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter at: