Job Location: US-DC-Washington
Posted Date: 5/24/2013
Senior Field Healthcare Policy Specialist will represent and assist the International Union in organizing; to take responsibility for major campaigns and to act in a leadership role with respect to other staff; and to design and implement strategic policy support to industry organizing campaigns. S/he performs a wide range of duties as assigned by International Union. These job areas include coordinating a multi-disciplinary program team to move campaign strategies such as policy analysis, legislation, legal, research, communications, bargaining and coalition work.
- Analyze and develop public policy positions for SEIU which support our key sectoral programs — health systems, nursing homes and home health care, and mh/mr and assists International with developing comprehensive campaign plans.
- Analyze political, legislative, regulatory, private sector and other industry initiatives;
- Assists in development of public policy positions on health care financing (e.g., Medicaid waivers), workforce, quality and other key issues and trends as they relate to union’s major industry sectors;
- Work with SEIU locals to provide technical analysis and support, and to identify leverage on these issues in campaigns;
- Assist SEIU locals, state councils, and campaign staff in identifying opportunities to advance organizing campaign and to enhance the International Union’s efforts to advance labor’s health agenda with national/state/local coalitions of health care advocates;
- Understand how critical policy changes will affect health care workers (members and unorganized workers) and how these can be used for campaign leverage — for strategies against employers, elected officials or state agency staff;
- Provide support on key policy issues to locals, joint/state councils, Division Board, and other leadership as needed.
- Involves a high level of proven leadership, judgment and demonstrated knowledge of health care industry trends and national and state health care policy issues. Additionally, this position requires political or community organizing experience; ability to manage multi-faceted campaigns and sensitive political situations; successful experience in planning and implementing strategic legislative, electoral or community support campaigns in pursuit of union organizing goals; and good written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to work independently and to coordinate staff while maintaining a close relationship of responsibility to the International Union. Overall supervision is exercised through the Health Policy Director in Industry Organizing and/or the Director of Organizing for the specific campaign.
- This position will be evaluated on their skill and ability to analyze key and timely policy issues and the impact on Union’s ability to organize and represent workers successfully. Among other criteria they will be evaluated on their ability to motivate other staff, to plan and carry out goals and timetables, to maintain good relationships with community, political and Union leaders in complex and politically charged situations, to involve and develop staff and members, and to carry out assignments in a competent and professional manner in keeping with SEIU’s overall goals and expectations.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/p342s3s