Job Location: US-DC-Washington
Posted Date: 4/16/2013
National. This is a national position located as assigned.
Senior Community Political Organizer (Immigration)
6 month contract position.
Purpose: To represent and assist the International Union in organizing; to take responsibility for building political and community support for organizing campaigns; to act in a leadership role with respect to other International and local union staff; and to design and implement strategic plans to mobilize members, community and others to support industry organizing campaigns.
The Senior Community Political Organizer will have primary responsibility to:
- Coordinate and direct staff involved in community and political outreach and mobilization.
- Coordinate with Local Union staff for internal mobilization efforts.
- Build community, political, religious support for organizing projects and political or issue campaigns.
- Develop functioning coalitions with supporters and allies.
- Plan and execute large-scale mobilizations including demonstrations, pickets, and letter writing campaigns.
- Plan and execute media events including press conferences, actions, etc.
- Write newsletters, leaflets, editorials, and other literature to support the campaign.
- Design and implement staff and member training, provide feedback and guidance to staff.
This position involves a high level of proven leadership and judgement. This position requires labor, political or community organizing experience; ability to direct campaigns and sensitive political situations; successful experience in planning and implementing strategic legislative, electoral or community support campaigns in pursuit of union organizing goals; and good written and verbal communication skills.
Criteria for Evaluation:
This position will be evaluated on their skill and ability to analyze key and timely policy issues and the impact on Union’s ability to organize and represent workers successfully. Among other criteria they will be evaluated on their ability to motivate other staff, to plan and carry out goals and timetables, to maintain good relationships with community, political and Union leaders in complex and politically charged situations, to involve and develop staff and members, and to carry out assignments in a competent and professional manner in keeping with SEIU’s overall goals and expectations.
SEIU is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/tmdwbkd