Do you want to learn how to effectively communicate research on Asian politics to U.S. policymakers, the media, and the corporate community? The National Bureau of Asian Research (NBR) is recruiting a Public Affairs and Communications Intern for its Washington, D.C. office, to support activities that reach out to Congress, the media, and industry, and engage the Obama administration. This unique experience provides exposure to a range of NBR research and programs, as well as introducing the intern to NBR’s network of scholars and stakeholders.
NBR is seeking an unpaid, volunteer, part-time (~15-20 hours per week) intern to be a member of NBR’s Outreach team for 6-12 months, beginning this June. The intern will assist with event planning, conduct background research, and support a variety of other Outreach activities, such as Engaging Asia which convenes government and academic experts from the United States and Asia to provide analysis and policy recommendations for future U.S. engagement with the region. S/he reports to the Assistant Director for Outreach as his/her supervisor. The internship, though volunteer, pays a nominal stipend of $350 per quarter. Students are also encouraged to apply for credit or funding through their home institution.
- Assist with media outreach: draft press releases, media advisories, and other press materials
- Provide background research for staff meetings and briefings on Capitol Hill and with the corporate community
- Assist with the planning of Outreach events
- Support the development and implementation of social media strategies to increase NBR’s reach
- Develop new content for NBR’s website
- Support NBR Washington, D.C. public events and other office needs as necessary
- Answer incoming calls to the organization
- Current BA/MA student or recent graduate, working towards or holding a relevant degree
- Excellent written, oral, research, and interpersonal skills are required, as well as substantive expertise and interest in contemporary U.S. foreign policy towards Asia
- Motivated self-starter who can work independently or as part of a team, pay acute attention to detail, and demonstrated organizations skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel is a requirement
- Familiarity with SharePoint, experience using social media tools in a professional setting, and knowledge of web/graphic design are a plus, but not required
The deadline for applications is June 24, 2013; however, qualified applications received first will be given priority. Incomplete applications will not be considered. To apply, submit the following to NBR:
- Application Form available on our website at http://www.nbr.org/Downloads/pdfs/NBR/application.pdf
- Cover letter that details your qualifications and availability
- Brief writing sample on a topic related to your field of study
- Contact information of three references, including name, title, affiliation, relationship to you, phone number, and email address
Please send applications by email to: Ms. Kailani Cordell, Director for Human Resources, email: email@example.com, phone (206) 632-7370.