The American Association of Petroleum Geologists is seeking an individual to work in its Washington DC office as a Policy Communications Advisor.
This individual is responsible for preparing and disseminating information in support of the Association’s point of view and the science of petroleum geology, utilizing all forms of print, broadcast and digital media and in-person options to create and maintain a favorable image of the organization and the oil and gas profession with legislative entities, government agencies, trade associations, scientific organizations and membership/customers.
1. Identify current and emerging energy issues where policymakers and the public would benefit from clear, concise scientific information and technological understanding.
2. In conjunction with knowledgeable industry professionals, develop materials to provide pertinent energy-related information for legislators, agencies, trade associations and other interested parties for peer review by AAPG members, including: fact sheets, press releases, position papers, scripts, recordings or website presentations, speeches, articles, etc.
3. Develop communications strategies to convey energy-related and petroleum industry information through multiple media channels including:
• Direct contact with policymakers (legislative and regulatory) and their staffs
• Briefings for policymakers and their staffs
• Social media channels
• Cultivation of press and broadcast media contacts
4. Collaborate and coordinate with AAPG leadership and staff to develop communication themes and approaches to drive the message.
5. Actively seek and recommend opportunities to expand activities globally.
• At least seven (7) years relevant policy communications experience including message delivery to legislative entities, political organizations and industry.
• Minimum requirement is a Bachelor’s degree related to communications, public relations, political relations or related field of study.
• Relevant scientific or technical degrees in geology or oil and gas experience strongly preferred.
Job Specific Skills and Knowledge:
• Excellent writing skills
• Articulate public communicator
• Poised, personable, candid, diplomatic and socially skillful
• Expert collaborator and negotiator
• Extremely well-organized
• Proficient in understanding and navigating through political situations
• Knowledgeable of media organizations and processes
• Proven excellent customer service orientation and ability to interface in positive manner with internal and external customers at various organizational levels and from diverse cultures
To apply: Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com