Summary: Planned Parenthood Southeast seeks experienced outreach coordinators to assist with public affairs programming in Alabama and Mississippi.
The Program: These positions are for individuals who will plan and carry out organizing activities that build community support for the organization in Mississippi and Alabama. The position will encompass the following functional areas: public affairs, advocacy, community relations, and volunteer management. The Coordinator will work closely with the Organizing Director, State Director and PPSE public affairs staff.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Work with PPSE public affairs staff and in coordination with PPFA to execute a field organizing plan
- Participate in public affairs strategy sessions
- Provide support for the Health Center Advocacy program
- Develop, coordinate and direct activities for identifying, educating, motivating, and mobilizing allied organizations and constituencies
- Make presentations to interested groups
- Cultivate existing and engage potential supporters through direct contact via mail, email, phone, events, and personal meetings
- Represent Planned Parenthood at community events
- Keep abreast of public policy issues and agency positions
- Recruit, train and mobilize volunteers
- Coordinate volunteer/supporter engagement events Alabama and Mississippi
- Increase number of supporters in the Alabama and Mississippi
- Coordinate activities with development, health education, and public affairs
- Outreach to district staff of members of Congress, the State Legislature and City Council
- Canvassing and phone banking (frequent)
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Skills and Abilities
- Be willing to approach and talk to people you don’t know
- Be computer literate, especially with Microsoft Office applications and online communities (Facebook, blogs, etc.)
- Have reliable transportation and access to a phone and computer
- Be able to work with diverse people (all races, ages, sexual orientation, ethnicities, abilities, socioeconomic backgrounds, various sexual and reproductive health knowledge bases, etc.)
- Be willing to follow through with projects
- Participate in staff meetings and provide periodic updates on progress
- Understand and be able to communicate the core values and mission of Planned Parenthood
- Understanding of the legislative process and able to accurately communicate to the general public about complicated and sensitive issues.
- A flexible and positive work attitude with the ability to quickly adapt to change
- Ability to have flexible work hours including some evening and weekends when necessary
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Computer Skills, Customer Service, Dependability, Diversity, Ethics, Initiative, Interpersonal Skills, Oral and Written Communications, Organizational Support, Professionalism, Quality, Safety & Security, and Teamwork.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos.
- Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions.
- Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate
Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed at any time at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing.
Planned Parenthood Federation of America is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. Planned Parenthood of America does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood Federation of America is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
|Travel||0 – 25%|
|Expertise||Community Outreach / Public Health|
|Job Type||Full Time|
|Years of Experience||1-3 years|