The National Abortion Federation (NAF), the leading pro-choice organization representing abortion providers and their patients, has an immediate full-time opening for the position of Federal Policy Director.
NAF is a 501(c)(3) organization, dedicated to ensuring that abortion is safe, legal, and accessible. Our members include 400 clinics, hospitals and physicians’ offices in the United States, Canada and Mexico City. Our dynamic and innovative programs span a wide range of services designed to meet the unique needs of abortion providers and their patients. NAF’s programs include: accredited continuing medical education; quality assurance and improvement; clinic security and law enforcement education; clinical, legal, and consumer publications; public education; public policy advocacy; group purchasing and a national toll-free hotline.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with the offices of members of the U.S. Congress;
- Promoting NAF’s policy priorities with the Administration;
- Developing strategies for introducing new legislation and responding to proposed legislation at the federal level affecting the provision of reproductive health care;
- Bringing forward patients and abortion providers in federal policy debates;
- Maintaining and strengthening relationships with other pro-choice organizations;
- Educating and engaging NAF members around federal legislative and legal issues relating to reproductive health care; and
- Collaborating with NAF staff to identify and respond to trends affecting NAF members at the state, federal, and international levels.
- Capitol Hill experience required;
- Commitment to reproductive choice;
- Minimum of 5 years federal legislative policy experience;
- Knowledge of women’s health care issues;
- Law degree or masters in public policy preferred;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Outstanding analytical ability and strong organizational skills; and
- Working knowledge of word processing, database, and web-based applications.
Commensurate with experience; excellent benefits.
The National Abortion Federation is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified individuals should mail, fax, or email a cover letter and resume to: NAF, 1660 L Street NW, Suite 450; Washington, DC 20036; fax: 202-667-5890; email@example.com. The position is located in Washington, DC, and will remain open until filled.