DC SCORES seeks an Executive Director to lead the organization to and through the next exciting phase of growth to engage, enrich and improve the lives of youth in Washington, DC. Building on current success and recent, sizable program expansion, the Executive Director will have the overall responsibility of ensuring sustainability, stewarding organizational strategy, elevating program quality, motivating staff and engaging stakeholders.
The ideal candidate is a passionate leader and communicator with a track record of successfully growing an organization, department or initiative. Further, the candidate is visionary, a proven fundraiser and team builder, and possesses a deep commitment to youth wellness and education.
This position reports to an active and engaged Board of Directors and manages a staff of 17, including three direct, senior staff reports.
• Provide overall leadership of the DC SCORES strategy, staff, programs, administration, and finances to ensure the successful execution of the mission
• In collaboration with the Senior Director of Development & Communications and Board, drive diverse and expanded funding strategies that ensure organizational sustainability and allow for the completion of growth goals
• Refine and implement the organizational strategic plan
• In collaboration with the Senior Director of Programs, ensure programs achieve clear, measurable results and the impact is evaluated and communicated
• In collaboration with the Senior Director of Operations, refine, build and scale internal processes, systems and policies to ensure efficient and effective workflow that can sustain organizational growth
• Manage and motivate staff to achieve their objectives by providing necessary resources, professional development, performance management, and a positive work environment that supports excellence, cultural competency and mutual respect
• Engage and lead members of the Board to leverage their talents and energy across relevant aspects of the organization
• Maintain and elevate the DC SCORES brand and reputation in Washington, DC among public, private and nonprofit stakeholder groups
• Serve as a spokesperson, thought leader, and driver of strategic partnerships in pertinent youth, after-school, wellness, and education circles
• Work strategically with America SCORES leadership and continue to serve as a leader within the America SCORES network
• 10 years of professional experience. Nonprofit experience is strongly preferred.
• A track record of successfully raising funds for an organization or cause.
• Innovative and entrepreneurial background, with demonstrated track record of scaling an organization and its programs.
• A proven ability to move initiatives forward, identify opportunities, take reasonable risks, manage challenges, and achieve the desired results.
• A strategic thinker and visionary with experience operationalizing a vision into a realistic work plan.
• A skilled leader with an ability to motivate, coach, and develop an experienced staff and board.
• Superb strategic communication skills and the proven ability to empower a diverse set of key stakeholders within the DC SCORES community.
• Knowledge of community and youth development, and of the Washington, DC landscape.
• Positive, optimistic, and energetic personality.
• Confident and inclusive leadership style.
• A sense of humor and perspective.
• A deep sense of commitment to improving youth outcomes in Washington, DC.
About DC SCORES
DC SCORES is an award winning, growing nonprofit that builds teams through after school programs for 1,500 low-income DC youth at 47 schools by instilling self-expression, physical fitness, and a sense of community. Founded in Washington, DC in 1994, DC SCORES’ successful program has been replicated in 13 other U.S. cities, all part of the America SCORES network.
DC SCORES’ holistic after-school program allows students to improve their fitness levels through soccer, develop self-expression through poetry and spoken word, and establish community connections through service learning. This is accomplished through an innovative model of hiring school day teachers and staff members as coaches after school. DC SCORES is one of the largest non-profit after-school programs in Washington, DC. DC SCORES has a current budget of $2m and, in the midst of an exciting growth phase, aims to complete key growth goals while having a clear focus on sustainability through growth and for the long-term.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a resume and cover letter at: